Basketball, boys and banana bread
I arrived at Nadia on Saturday a few minutes before 5 and was meet by three well dressed boys already outside and ready to go... I corraled them and we made it inside and upstairs where I reminded them of last week's plan and since they had already been to McD's that day, how about changing the plan from dinner tonight to lunch tomorrow after church? They were agreeable to this and I also reminded them that they plan included spending the night at my house, which brought cheers! I refused to have the mom's pack for them, they are 12, 11 and 9 and are ready and capable to do this on their own. I reminded them of the important things to bring and they did their packing. Daniel and Adi brought a bit of their own money (thinking ahead! i like that!) and we stopped at a store and they went inside to buy gum... and both came out and handed me a piece of gum! WOW!!! Generosity has been modeled and is being picked up on a bit! And then we set off for the basketball game.
We arrived about 5:40 for a six o'clock game... enough time to watch some warm up and see the teams introduced and then game time! In the car, I divided us up into 2's and handed out money to Janos (with Adi) and Daniel (with me) and discussed with them how much each ticket cost and if the amount I gave them was enough (yes) and how much change to get back, etc. We walked in and there was no one there to sell us tickets, weird. We walked up and found a girls volleyball game in process which we watched for a few minutes and then the guy I know from the team noticed us and came up to say hello. The boys introduced themselves well, to Troy, in English(PROUD!). Troy said that the game started at 7 that evening. NO!!!! But alas, it was true. So we found ourselves seats, (they had started selling tickets by this point and so the boys went to buy their tickets for us all) which was not hard an hour before the game and the boys picked the "nose bleed" seats. We watched a full hour of warm-up and Daniel was a bit tired of it all before the game even started. It was a good game and to the best of my knowledge, they've never been to a "professional" game before. I love being with them when they are experiencing something for the first time. I love watching them learn and aquire new knowledge and information for different life "files" and hopefully teaching them the correct way the first time. The game was good! "We" won!

A little self-entertaining!

Adi took this on his own, not bad for a boy who's only had a year of experiences with cameras!
Adi and Daniel tired pretty quickly of the game and I was explaining the 4 quarters and the half-time break before the end of the first quarter, Janos (our definete sports boy of the group) enjoyed himself.

Towards the end of the game it was 92-8something and Adi said to me something about them reaching 100. With one minute left I said, not possible. I was wrong, the ending score being 101-90. I am amazed still at the things they do not know. I asked several times the difference between scores and all struggled with that. When the last minute had become just seconds and Adi asked how much time is left, I pointed to the timeclock and he couldn't recognize what amount of time that was nor that it was less than one minute. The boys did ask several times how much time left and even if we could go, but I explained that it is better to wait until the game is over to leave. I don't like fairweather fans, and so I took this opportunity to teach them a bit about finishing what you start.
After the game, the children "rush" the floor and several of the players spend awhile having their picture taken and signing autopraphs.
As you see, we joined in the festivities and as Troy was autographing Adi,
I exclaimed "You're signing my child!"

These oh-so-hungry children and I made our way home where they changed into pj's and I laid out bread, salam and cheese for us. At this time, Daniel discovered that he had forgotten his pj's at home. (Oh well! He slept in his clothes and then went to church in them) After dinner, we moved to the couch for a movie. I encouraged Janos to scoot over so he could have more space and he said (in English, no less!) "no, for you". I quickly ran to change clothes and settled in for another viewing of "National Treasure" (isn't it funny what movies they like? remember, they are watching this is English...)
After the movie, and some major reshifting on the couch, all three were settled and I recrawled on the couch and suggested a new prayer thing. They see and hear prayer and pray often for Jannes, so often it surpises me, but I wonder if the thought of praying for those they live with ever crosses their minds. So I suggested that Adi pray for me, I pray for Daniel, Daniel pray for Janos and Janos pray for Adi, just going down the couch. Adi prayed very sweetly for me, asking God to bless me since I live alone and when I prayed for Daniel I put my hand on him and so when it was his turn, he put his hand on Janos. I love that sometimes they don't know NOT to do things and just follow suit. I kissed them each goodnight and there was this major room temperature discussion which resulted in the space heater being turned off for the hot blooded Janos and Daniel and Adi said he was cold and so I took another blanket and tucked it around him and he said "you're like our mom". Ok, those are the moments.
The next morning (this is the long account, yes??) I snuck into the kitchen and made banana bread and then off for a shower. They were awake while I was mixing, but they were being quiet (thoughtful) and I just let them be. My favorite moment of the whole time was when the alarm went off in their room and kept going off and so I walked into their room and all three were sitting on the couch starting at it. They didn't know what it was or what to do! Chuckling even as I write this! I said "Good Morning" and shut it off. I told the boys we were leaving for church in one hour and I was so impressed at how they paced themselves and started getting ready. Four people sharing one bathroom is a lot, but we did it well. I had returned to dry and style my hair and the bathroom smelled like boy! Not bad boy, but boy smells of deodrandt and gel. It was sweet. Adi knocked on the door and all three got a look at me with the hairdryer and my curling brush and just observed.... ha! After we finished with breakfast and were cleaning up I walked into the living room and all the pillows from the couch were back on it (removed for more sleeping space) and the blankets had been folded and returned to the basket they live in and their pj's and all repacked into their bags. AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh! Sweet boys.... learning how to respect others' space. I was and am so impressed with them. It's been a thinking time for me as I think back to a year ago with them, the toilet was not useable without wiping it down, there was toothpaste spit in the sink... none of that this time.
Although this picture doesn't look significant, it is the snowballs that Adi threw at my feet, respecting my request to not be hit with snowballs on the way to church.


As we walked to church, I just let them be boys and throw snowballs.

Don't miss the snowball to the right of Adi's shoulder flying by!
After lunch we headed to the boy's favorite restuarant, TipTop, also Jannes' favorite spot (the influence lives on) where we had a nice lunch together. I pulled in and looked at the sign on the door which read "Closed" and said "what?!" and we watched as someone approached and flipped it over to say "Open". "Pentru noi (for us)!" I said. I didn't once worry about noise levels with the boys inside the restuarant and chose not to worry too much about Adi eating snitzel with his fingers. I don't quite know what is acceptable table manners for Romanians and so I tend to be a little more relaxed as to what is ok. After all, they are Romanian! We arrived back at Nadia all very quiet... I walked the boys in and immediately a little bit of attitude popped out and so I set out to quiet that, literally, as it was rest time for the house. I walked into their bedroom and I talked about how much fun I had had with them and noticed they were already unpacking and cleaning up... complimented them on that... and before I knew it, Daniel and Janos were snuggling with me and then it turned into all out, each man for himself tickle war. I am so glad I was still wearing my winter coat because it provided a layer of protection from tickly fingers.
It was 20 hours from when I picked them up to when I dropped them back off at Nadia and I stayed for another two hours... I must say, that's the best 22 hours I've had in a long time!
We arrived about 5:40 for a six o'clock game... enough time to watch some warm up and see the teams introduced and then game time! In the car, I divided us up into 2's and handed out money to Janos (with Adi) and Daniel (with me) and discussed with them how much each ticket cost and if the amount I gave them was enough (yes) and how much change to get back, etc. We walked in and there was no one there to sell us tickets, weird. We walked up and found a girls volleyball game in process which we watched for a few minutes and then the guy I know from the team noticed us and came up to say hello. The boys introduced themselves well, to Troy, in English(PROUD!). Troy said that the game started at 7 that evening. NO!!!! But alas, it was true. So we found ourselves seats, (they had started selling tickets by this point and so the boys went to buy their tickets for us all) which was not hard an hour before the game and the boys picked the "nose bleed" seats. We watched a full hour of warm-up and Daniel was a bit tired of it all before the game even started. It was a good game and to the best of my knowledge, they've never been to a "professional" game before. I love being with them when they are experiencing something for the first time. I love watching them learn and aquire new knowledge and information for different life "files" and hopefully teaching them the correct way the first time. The game was good! "We" won!

A little self-entertaining!

Adi took this on his own, not bad for a boy who's only had a year of experiences with cameras!
Adi and Daniel tired pretty quickly of the game and I was explaining the 4 quarters and the half-time break before the end of the first quarter, Janos (our definete sports boy of the group) enjoyed himself.

Towards the end of the game it was 92-8something and Adi said to me something about them reaching 100. With one minute left I said, not possible. I was wrong, the ending score being 101-90. I am amazed still at the things they do not know. I asked several times the difference between scores and all struggled with that. When the last minute had become just seconds and Adi asked how much time is left, I pointed to the timeclock and he couldn't recognize what amount of time that was nor that it was less than one minute. The boys did ask several times how much time left and even if we could go, but I explained that it is better to wait until the game is over to leave. I don't like fairweather fans, and so I took this opportunity to teach them a bit about finishing what you start.
After the game, the children "rush" the floor and several of the players spend awhile having their picture taken and signing autopraphs.
As you see, we joined in the festivities and as Troy was autographing Adi,
I exclaimed "You're signing my child!"

These oh-so-hungry children and I made our way home where they changed into pj's and I laid out bread, salam and cheese for us. At this time, Daniel discovered that he had forgotten his pj's at home. (Oh well! He slept in his clothes and then went to church in them) After dinner, we moved to the couch for a movie. I encouraged Janos to scoot over so he could have more space and he said (in English, no less!) "no, for you". I quickly ran to change clothes and settled in for another viewing of "National Treasure" (isn't it funny what movies they like? remember, they are watching this is English...)
After the movie, and some major reshifting on the couch, all three were settled and I recrawled on the couch and suggested a new prayer thing. They see and hear prayer and pray often for Jannes, so often it surpises me, but I wonder if the thought of praying for those they live with ever crosses their minds. So I suggested that Adi pray for me, I pray for Daniel, Daniel pray for Janos and Janos pray for Adi, just going down the couch. Adi prayed very sweetly for me, asking God to bless me since I live alone and when I prayed for Daniel I put my hand on him and so when it was his turn, he put his hand on Janos. I love that sometimes they don't know NOT to do things and just follow suit. I kissed them each goodnight and there was this major room temperature discussion which resulted in the space heater being turned off for the hot blooded Janos and Daniel and Adi said he was cold and so I took another blanket and tucked it around him and he said "you're like our mom". Ok, those are the moments.
The next morning (this is the long account, yes??) I snuck into the kitchen and made banana bread and then off for a shower. They were awake while I was mixing, but they were being quiet (thoughtful) and I just let them be. My favorite moment of the whole time was when the alarm went off in their room and kept going off and so I walked into their room and all three were sitting on the couch starting at it. They didn't know what it was or what to do! Chuckling even as I write this! I said "Good Morning" and shut it off. I told the boys we were leaving for church in one hour and I was so impressed at how they paced themselves and started getting ready. Four people sharing one bathroom is a lot, but we did it well. I had returned to dry and style my hair and the bathroom smelled like boy! Not bad boy, but boy smells of deodrandt and gel. It was sweet. Adi knocked on the door and all three got a look at me with the hairdryer and my curling brush and just observed.... ha! After we finished with breakfast and were cleaning up I walked into the living room and all the pillows from the couch were back on it (removed for more sleeping space) and the blankets had been folded and returned to the basket they live in and their pj's and all repacked into their bags. AHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh! Sweet boys.... learning how to respect others' space. I was and am so impressed with them. It's been a thinking time for me as I think back to a year ago with them, the toilet was not useable without wiping it down, there was toothpaste spit in the sink... none of that this time.
Although this picture doesn't look significant, it is the snowballs that Adi threw at my feet, respecting my request to not be hit with snowballs on the way to church.


As we walked to church, I just let them be boys and throw snowballs.

Don't miss the snowball to the right of Adi's shoulder flying by!
After lunch we headed to the boy's favorite restuarant, TipTop, also Jannes' favorite spot (the influence lives on) where we had a nice lunch together. I pulled in and looked at the sign on the door which read "Closed" and said "what?!" and we watched as someone approached and flipped it over to say "Open". "Pentru noi (for us)!" I said. I didn't once worry about noise levels with the boys inside the restuarant and chose not to worry too much about Adi eating snitzel with his fingers. I don't quite know what is acceptable table manners for Romanians and so I tend to be a little more relaxed as to what is ok. After all, they are Romanian! We arrived back at Nadia all very quiet... I walked the boys in and immediately a little bit of attitude popped out and so I set out to quiet that, literally, as it was rest time for the house. I walked into their bedroom and I talked about how much fun I had had with them and noticed they were already unpacking and cleaning up... complimented them on that... and before I knew it, Daniel and Janos were snuggling with me and then it turned into all out, each man for himself tickle war. I am so glad I was still wearing my winter coat because it provided a layer of protection from tickly fingers.
It was 20 hours from when I picked them up to when I dropped them back off at Nadia and I stayed for another two hours... I must say, that's the best 22 hours I've had in a long time!

2 Comments:
it's also the longest read in a long time ;) but it's a sweet story, bringing up sweet memories. thanks for sharing it!
HELLO SWEET GIRLS, THIS IS GEE GEE I HAVE NOT READ MY E-MAIL IN QUITE A TIME. SO GLAD TO BRING IT UP TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU ALL ARE DOING. WITH ALL THE HOLIDAYS AND SUCH I HAVE NOT HAD TIME FOR DOING MUCH. I SPENT THE HOLIDAYS WITH FAMILY.I HAVE A LOT TO READ THAT YOU ALL HAVE SENT. MUCH LOVE GEE GEE
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home