Name:
Location: Back in Romania!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Returning to a first love

Today (Thursday), I went to Luduş, a town about 45 minutes away from where I live, that has both an orphanage and a baby hospital with many children there. Five of us took off from Targu Mures to look for a hospital that we did not have directions to. I had prayed several times for God to give us admittance to the hospital as we had called ahead, but not spoken to the Director for official permission. We were allowed in the hospital and dropped off our coats in the office. I confess, I was tense. What would it be like? We were walked into the first room with 3 beds and 3 babies. There was a nurse (I later found out she was a cleaning woman) by my side and she spoke to me in English. I asked her if I could pick up the baby and she responded yes. I picked up the little one and talked to him for awhile and then told the baby that I needed to put him down to go visit others in the next room. Erika responded that I could take him with me (???). Ok! At Leaganul, we weren’t allowed to take the kids out of their room except into the therapy room and definitely not into another room with other children. We went into another room and Erika came along and told me a bit about one of the babies. The walls were scratched on and peeling/coming apart…evidence of bored and curious babies seeking to understand their environments and find stimulation. It was delightfully fun to talk with the babies and I played a round of “I’m gonna get you” with my finger that caused lots of giggling from all three of us (I still had baby #1 in my arms). I went to return baby #1 to his room so that I could go into the toddlers’ room and play and was told I could bring him in! Surprises around every corner. This was so different! There were 3 caregivers and Erika there interacting with the babies, A blanket was put down on the floor, and we were allowed to bring over all three babies from the first room. It was a grand old time with 5 toddlers, 3 caregiver and Erika, the 5 of us, 3 sitting babies, puppets and toys! There was giggling and smiles and baby talk in several languages – wonderful!

Then we went to the baby side and found three rooms of younger ones, 3 beds per room. Sweet babies in every bed. Wet babies in most beds as they do not have diapers and only have enough cloths for two changes a day. I met a handsome baby named Paul, who had already been abused in his short life.

One thing that I missed from Leaganul was the name and birth date of the baby listed above their crib. I am hopeful that I will begin a relationship with this hospital and visit weekly with others and I will ask if I may make nameplates for each baby above their bed. Maybe there could be a team that visits these kiddos this summer.

What a glorious morning! I could hold babies just about forever.

After that I was able to have lunch with Ramona, Jannes, Scotty (an American from Tennessee here for 3 months) and Hannah (Texan here for a week -- it's great having someone else around that will boast with me about the wonderfulness of Texas!) back in town. I am realizing how much I need adult time and adult conversations. I praise God for meeting two needs in me today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home