Top Ten Questions
I will try and answer several faq all at once!
1. The weather...
No, it is NOT cold and I am receiving that as a blessing. I was prepared (as prepared as a Texas girl can make herself) for blizzards and bundling up, but i am quite pleased with the weather. Low of about 32 each night and in the 40's during the day. This weekend it is supposed to get colder, we'll see.
2. Do you have a mattress?
YES!! As of Sunday night, I am sleeping in my room with my new mattress. I followed my Dad's advice and splurged on the "nicer" mattress. It is a two person mattress (somewhere between a double and a queen) and I must say I do have cute sheets to match. Now knowing that there are 2 sizes of beds in Romania (to the best of my knowledge), I thought it would be easy to buy sheets, a duvay cover and a down comforter. WRONG! The down comforter definetly said for 2 people, but alas, it is only about half the size of the duvay. I am building a frame for the bed in my mind and hope to have that in a month or two. I'll send pictures!
No one has asked this, nor does anyone probably care, but I have seen my first cat in Romania. How I spent 14 weeks over 3 trips and never saw a cat, I don't know, but I have seen one now! There are cats in Romania.
3. What am I doing?
It's official. I am the Education Director of Casa Nadia. This house has kids ages 5-11. Three will start kindergarten in January. School here starts in 1st grade at age 7 and thus K is optional, but our kids will do K. Two are special needs kiddos. Six boys and four girls and all 4 girls and one boy are related. Definete emotional and mental needs here. The fun news is that Angela has the same position at Casa Ana and since our houses are right next door, we are basically going to both be involved with both houses. Over the Christmas holiday we are doing several events together and will have all 20 kids over to spend the night at one point or another. We are also going sledding! Have I ever sledded in my life? Nope, I don't think so, but it's time to learn!
4. Christmas
Today was called Mos Nicolai, a holiday where Father Nicolas (ohhhh! it makes me nervous to write Romanian facts on here knowing that my Romanian friends may read it and go, that is sooo wrong!) visits the children and puts either a switch in the shoe of children who have been "bad", or fruit and chocolate in the shoes of those who have been "good". He did visit Casa Ana and Nadia and there was lots of fruit and chocolate to be had by all. As I think I mentioned earlier, Romanians put up their Christmas tree on Dec 24th, but it is already up in our houses. Also, Christmas is really a 3 day holiday, celebrated the 24th, 25th and 26th. Angela and I did buy a small brad (Christmas tree) for the apartment and hope to buy a live one as the date gets closer.
That's enough for now.
With love, B
1. The weather...
No, it is NOT cold and I am receiving that as a blessing. I was prepared (as prepared as a Texas girl can make herself) for blizzards and bundling up, but i am quite pleased with the weather. Low of about 32 each night and in the 40's during the day. This weekend it is supposed to get colder, we'll see.
2. Do you have a mattress?
YES!! As of Sunday night, I am sleeping in my room with my new mattress. I followed my Dad's advice and splurged on the "nicer" mattress. It is a two person mattress (somewhere between a double and a queen) and I must say I do have cute sheets to match. Now knowing that there are 2 sizes of beds in Romania (to the best of my knowledge), I thought it would be easy to buy sheets, a duvay cover and a down comforter. WRONG! The down comforter definetly said for 2 people, but alas, it is only about half the size of the duvay. I am building a frame for the bed in my mind and hope to have that in a month or two. I'll send pictures!
No one has asked this, nor does anyone probably care, but I have seen my first cat in Romania. How I spent 14 weeks over 3 trips and never saw a cat, I don't know, but I have seen one now! There are cats in Romania.
3. What am I doing?
It's official. I am the Education Director of Casa Nadia. This house has kids ages 5-11. Three will start kindergarten in January. School here starts in 1st grade at age 7 and thus K is optional, but our kids will do K. Two are special needs kiddos. Six boys and four girls and all 4 girls and one boy are related. Definete emotional and mental needs here. The fun news is that Angela has the same position at Casa Ana and since our houses are right next door, we are basically going to both be involved with both houses. Over the Christmas holiday we are doing several events together and will have all 20 kids over to spend the night at one point or another. We are also going sledding! Have I ever sledded in my life? Nope, I don't think so, but it's time to learn!
4. Christmas
Today was called Mos Nicolai, a holiday where Father Nicolas (ohhhh! it makes me nervous to write Romanian facts on here knowing that my Romanian friends may read it and go, that is sooo wrong!) visits the children and puts either a switch in the shoe of children who have been "bad", or fruit and chocolate in the shoes of those who have been "good". He did visit Casa Ana and Nadia and there was lots of fruit and chocolate to be had by all. As I think I mentioned earlier, Romanians put up their Christmas tree on Dec 24th, but it is already up in our houses. Also, Christmas is really a 3 day holiday, celebrated the 24th, 25th and 26th. Angela and I did buy a small brad (Christmas tree) for the apartment and hope to buy a live one as the date gets closer.
That's enough for now.
With love, B
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home