Name:
Location: Back in Romania!

Thursday, December 08, 2005

So I guess I am staying...

That sounds so dramatic. It means that I have filled out my first round of paperwork to apply for my visa to stay in the country. I had to have a letter of introduction/invitation from Livada, a copy of my college diploma, and several other items to be sent to the police who will allow me to stay for 90 days. Once I get approval from them, I will need to have a blood test and a psychiatric evaluation so that I can get my legitimatzia - similar to a driver's license/identification card. My visa to stay is for one year and so I will need to renew once more.
Speaking of renewing, in order for ME to get a cell phone we need to have a lease for atleast six months...ours only has 2 months left and thus, I was denied, pending a renewal on the lease for our apartment. I understand the thinking behind this policy, but it is one of those things that makes me say "Welcome to Romania". Have NO doubt, I love this country, but sometimes things just seem more difficult than they need to be. We are trying to get in touch with our land lord and renew. Angela also has to sign on my phone contract because she signed the lease. Thanks Angela for getting me a phone! Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday, I will be connected.
So yesterday (which seems like years ago), I took my first taxi ride alone -- that's always interesting on limited language skills. I asked God for a driver that knew where he was going and I got just that. Now I am back to the no-fear stage. And just for a bit of fun, I love it when I say thank you and good-bye to the taxi drivers in Romanian (multumesc si la reverde) and they say "bye" to me in English. That just makes me giggle. And I officially got hit-on today by a very nice (and cute!), English speaking taxi driver who said he liked my smile and asked for my number. I was relieved to say honestly, "I don't have a phone! I just got here!" I've been overwhelmed a bit by the kindness and helpfulness I have received just about everywhere from Romanians helping me out. Like I said, I love this country!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home